- 42 Comment(s)
- You can make them with upcycled materials
- Everyone loves a gnome - these are perfect as a gift
- You can easily transform the gnome into Santa - instructions are below!
Amy came up with the idea for the gnomes after seeing a story about a woman who was making gnome houses along a running trail here in Kansas City. Amy thought it would be fun to create a happy figure that could be made with cozy recycled knits, and our little gnome family was born! There is a large size, a medium and an ornament size.
When we started talking about materials, we knew we wanted to incorporate recycled fabric. The large gnome was easy - we used two different sweaters and combined them with our Crossroads Denim. But what about other recycled materials? That is when we started rummaging through the sock drawer and created the medium gnome. This little guy uses one knee-high sock for his hat, and the other for his arms (and a recycled t-shirt for his beard). How cute is he?
We just love these little men for the holidays. They can watch over your little ones from the mantle shelf, or cuddle up with them on the sofa. But you can also transform your gnome into Santa! See below for instructions to hack the pattern.
The gnomes were so cute, we wanted versions that could hang out in the house all year long - not just during the holidays. That was when Amy (who is a huge Kansas Jayhawks fan) came up with the idea of making the gnomes in sports team colors!
Our sporty gnome was made with the sock hat and arms, although you could also use an old team sweatshirt or t-shirt. The gnome below, which sports our local high school colors was made with an recycled sweater and recycled denim. Amy's teenage son gave it the thumbs up!
The Great Santa Hack!
To turn your gnome into Santa, follow these simple steps.
- Get the Show Your Spirit Gnomes pattern.
- Cut the hat and arms out of an up-cycled red sweatshirt or sweater.
- Cut the hands out of a 5" x 5" piece of black fleect
- Out of white fleece cut one hat band 14 1/2" x 4 1/2" and two cuffs 6 1/2" x 2".
- Follow instructions for the large gnome from the Show Your Spirit Gnomes pattern. through step 4 of Assemble Body and Hat.
- Fold hat band in half lengthwise right sides together. Pin and stitch. Turn right side out.
- Fold one opening end to the inside 1/4". Insert the other end into this opening and hand-stitch closed.
- Pull the band over the hat cover the edges of the hat closest to the face, hand-stitch the band to the hat.
- Follow steps 6 and 7 for the wrist cuffs.
- Pull the cuffs onto the arms, covering the edges of the sleeves and mittens. Hand-stitch to secure.
- Finish assembly instructions from the Show Your Spirit Gnomes Pattern.
- Sew on a jaunty red bell to the tip of Santa's hat!